Saturday, April 14, 2012

Grapefruit


Grapefruit sections for dessert
I am obsessed with sectioned grapefruit.  Since last Christmas, when I hurriedly tossed together a citrus salad for a holiday dinner party and discovered the joy of peeled and segmented grapefruit, I’ve been eating them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.  I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long to figure out that excavating the poor grapefruit out of its skin with a spoon and macerating it in the process, should be classified as food abuse, but I’m trying to make up for lost time.
It's almost always
available

Not only is sectioned grapefruit melt-in-your mouth sweet-tart, but, even in my small town grocery store, it is predictably available, low cost per pound, and almost always juicy, red, and ripe.

Use this device
For the most decadent preparation of a grapefruit, purchase a special grapefruit knife.  This inexpensive implement allows you to cleanly separate the fruit from the rind, leaving the tough white pith behind where, in my opinion, it belongs.  Once clear of its peel, the meaty segments can be released from the filaments between them with the tip of a sharp knife.

Don’t make the mistake of polluting this natural treat with sugar.  It is at its absolute best unadorned.

No comments:

Post a Comment