Saturday, July 20, 2013

Find of the Week: Cream of Barley Breakfast Cereal (Alaska Made)

Last time I was in Wasilla, I picked up a bag of Cream of Barley Breakfast Cereal (2 pounds, $5) at Three Bears.  I brought it home and gave it a try this week.  It is delicious and filling and the texture is like Cream of Wheat. The cereal is also quick and easy to cook up in the morning before work.  I used the microwave directions and had to try it a couple of times to get both the quantity of water and the length of cooking time right, but once you have that down, it's great.  I used 1/4 cup of cereal and about 3/4 cup of water (the instructions call for 1 cup).  I also cooked it for about 3 minutes vs. the 1.5 - 2 minutes called for.  My microwave is a little underpowered, so the cook time wasn't surprising.  

One morning, I added Italian seasoning, black pepper, and a bit of butter.  The next morning, I used cinnamon and sugar.  Both combinations were tasty.

The Alaska Flour Company, which produces this cereal, says that it is made of 100% Alaska grown barley and is milled on the family farm in Delta.  Additionally, they say it is 100% whole grain -- nothing is removed during processing.  Barley is a very healthy option.  This cereal contains 2 g of fiber and 4 g of protein per serving.

The cereal can be purchased across the state including in Anchorage, Glennallen, Kenai, and Fairbanks.  Check out the company's website here (Alaska Flour Company, Delta Alaska) for a full list of locations and for an on-line store.




No comments:

Post a Comment